Legionella risk assessments - are you compliant?
Legionella bacteria lays dormant in water that’s under 20 degress centigrade and above 50 degress centigrade. If water sits at a temperature between these two, then there is a risk of an outbreak.
At the heart of the Health and Safety Executive’s Approved Code of Practice (HSE’s ACoP) L8 for Legionella control is the need to assess the entire water system – particularly dead legs and unused sections – for risk of harbouring and nurturing the bacteria.
When sufficient risk is deemed present, those responsible must put in place an effective monitoring and maintenance programme and have a contingency plan in the event of an outbreak.
We provide comprehensive Legionella Risk Assessments reports detailing remedial work required to make your company compliant and keep your employees and customers safe.
The two stages of legal compliance under the current legislation are as follows:
Stage 1 – Risk Assessment
Stage 2 – Ongoing Water Monitoring & Recording
- On-site water system risk assessments are completed with full asset register of associated outlets
- Written reports including schematic drawings of pipework and system details of all assets
- Identification of the ‘duty holder’, ‘responsible person’ and ‘deputy responsible person(s)’
- Identification and prioritisation of any remedial works required to comply with ACoP L8
- Compliance and the Water Supply (Fittings) Regulations 1999
- Identification of on-site training for site personnel
- Implement ongoing water monitoring schedules and records
- Upon completion a certificate of compliance will be issued with a unique registration number
The list of typical activities that need to be completed and recorded are:
- Weekly flushing of little used water outlets
- Monthly temperature checks on sentinel hot and cold water outlets
- Monthly temperature checks on water heaters, hot water cylinders and calorifiers
- 3-monthly, cleaning, descaling and disinfection of showers and hoses
- 12-monthly water storage tank inspections
- 6-monthly water storage tank temperature checks
- 12-monthly servicing and thermostatic mixing valves (TMV’s)
We can offer all of the services above, simple fill out the contact form below to request an on-site consultation with one of our experts.